Monday, March 9, 2009

Mirror Lake Golf Club: Lake Course


The picture on the left was taken from the Mirror Lake website, and as far as I am concerned, is a complete lie. Mirror Lake Golf Club has two courses, the Mountain Course and the Lake Course. On Saturday, I played the Lake Course. One might assume that this picture was taken along one of the Lake Course's 18 holes, but they would be wrong. I did not see a body of water that was even 1/10th the size of the lake pictured here. Now, I understand that water levels have been historically low in Georgia over the past year or so, but the various bodies of water that I saw along the course looked more like drainage ponds than the sprawling vista pictured here.

I played from the Gold tees, totaling 6,486 yards. Most of the fairways were pretty wide open and any danger was clearly visible from the tee box. Given that it is early March, the fairways and rough were dormant and the only thing green were the greens. I found the greens to be in great shape. Most of them were large and undulating and playing very fast, which made for some interesting putts. I found that the greens rolled true and reading them was not too difficult. There was a little inconsistency with sand in the bunkers from hole to hole (I played out of 8 of them), but in decent shape nonetheless. The few holes that did play along the "lake" were the most challenging, and errant tee shots were most likely going to end up in the drink.

The signature hole, in my opinion, was the 590-yard Par 5 12th. Not because of the view, but because of the challenge. This Par 5 was straight and playing slightly downhill, with a creek/marshy area running in front of the green. The hazard made going for the green in 2 nearly impossible, unless you were able to hammer out a 330+ yard drive.

Mirror Lake is a private golf club and community. I played with someone who is a member of Cannongate Golf, of which Mirror Lake is a member course, and was able to get on for only $25. Overall, I would give the Lake Course 3.5 Sporks, but honestly, the value is unbeatable. Normally, a course like this would cost $65-$100 in greens fees, so if I ever have the chance to play it with a Cannongate member, I will certainly take them up on it. Located in Villa Rica, it's a little bit of a hike to get out there, but well worth it if you can get this rate.

Mirror Lake Golf Club
1000 Canongate Blvd Villa Rica, GA 30180
P: (770) 459-5599
F: (770) 459-9198
http://www.canongategolf.com/


No comments: