Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Love You, Man


By: BA Roof

Last night the R and R Review had an interesting experience screening I Love You, Man. Since we’re not a big enough outfit to have movies sent directly to our private screening room yet, we still have to sit among the commoners in our smoking jackets to watch a film. We thank Metromix Atlanta for giving us the opportunity to see this movie, for free no less, but I must say the co-sponsoring radio station's pre-movie “warm-up” that we had to endure was a little over the top (think overweight men dancing around with their shirts off). I just kept thinking does Roger Ebert have to go through this before screening a movie?

As for the film, I must say that Paul Rudd (Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin) and Jason Segel (Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall), along with writer/director John Hamburg (Meet the Parents, Zoolander), have struck gold in the theaters, yet again. Is there anything this group of guys can’t make funny? With a great supporting cast, including Jon Favreau, Andy Samberg, J.K. Simmons and Rashida Jones (The Office), the laughs don’t stop and the movie flows effortlessly throughout.


When I first heard about this movie, I seriously questioned how on earth the writers were going to do a story about a guy wanting/needing a best friend and best man for his wedding…and gaining one by going on man-dates. But, if you love comedy with absurd awkwardness, this is the movie for you. There were plenty of times watching Rudd’s character, Peter Klaven, that I wanted to close my eyes or mute the movie, because the things he did and said were just so ridiculous. I laughed, but truly felt embarrassed for him. Probably since there have been moments in my life that I’ve said some really stupid things, I could relate, but Peter took it to a new level. Of course, you have the typical stupid comedy (fart jokes and vomit) in the movie, but even these are cleverly placed and not overused. However, I think it’s always the more subtle lines and body language that gets the biggest laughs with these guys, and this movie didn’t disappoint.


I wish there had been a little more story development and slightly more camera time between Peter and fiancée Zooey (Jones), as I loved Jones on The Office. I mean really, who wouldn’t have liked to see her more…maybe taking a shower? I mean, not for me, but for all the guys watching the movie. But, this is a movie about guy relationships, so it makes complete sense, but you do find yourself asking with Peter and Syndey...why are you marrying her? One of my gold standards when watching a comedy is does it put me into a laughing fit. The fits where I can’t breathe and I’m grabbing the person next to me and tears are flowing. Segel and Rudd often accomplish this in their movies and this one did just that, especially when it came time for Peter to imitate James Bond in his leprechaun voice for Sydney while trying on tuxs for his wedding.


While I’m not sure how many guys out there truly suffer from Peter’s problem of having no close male friends (I’ve known a few on the brink), the movie still explores common dilemmas and themes facing couples trying to balance their friendships, relationships and jobs, making the story relatable to all. While technically this movie was a “man-date” for me, since I went with the other “R”, I think this would be a great comedy that the Mrs. could still relate to and enjoy.


I give I Love You, Man a Spork Rating of:






By: Christopher J. Robinson


My man-crush on Paul Rudd first began when I saw him as a crippled war veteran bound to a wheelchair in the Cider House Rules, and has only continued to blossom over the years. Rudd’s road to stardom has taken some interesting turns. His breakout role in Clueless propelled him into a few rom-com leads and a recurring role on Friends, but it was during Wet Hot American Summer that I believe Paul Rudd really fell into his comedic element. Wet Hot American Summer introduced him to the boys from The State and eventually led to Judd Apatow, who has helped turn Rudd into the comic genius that everyone wants to work with.

In I Love You, Man, Rudd plays awkward as well as Steve Carell and is even on par with the master of awkwardness, Ben Stiller. Peter Klaven’s man-dates were perfectly uncomfortable and his initial interactions with Sydney (Jason Segel) made me cringe in my seat. But I loved it. They were perfect. Writer/director John Hamburg did a brilliant job of moving Peter and Sydney from awkward and uncomfortable to a perfectly gelled bromance. Rudd and Segel have a natural chemistry that is really fun to watch.

The supporting cast in this movie is unreal. Jon Favreau, Jamie Pressly, JK Simmons, Thomas Lennon (Lt. Dangle) and fellow The State alum, Joe Lo Truglio were all great and all of them provided laughs. I feel as though adequate screen time was given to Peter and Zooey, and I didn’t need more Rashida Jones because I feel like she didn’t bring any additional comedy to the table and that she wasn’t supposed to. Jones’s character was grounded in the seriousness of her relationship and it was the job of the rest of the cast to crack us up.

Even though the plot is rather obvious and slightly predictable, the movie flows smoothly and there is no down time or plot stretching. I Love You, Man certainly has its vulgar moments, but seems rather tame compared to the like-minded Apatow releases. I loved Sydney’s man room, complete with drum kit, masturbating station, and a photo of a lizard with a cigarette shoved in its mouth. The movie is consistently funny and the laughs keep coming. There were so many quotable lines that it will probably take multiple viewings to get them all down. The humor is too inappropriate for kids, but perfect for everyone else, guys and girls alike. Between Peter’s absurd nicknames, the projectile vomiting, and Lou Ferrigno’s sleeper hold, I give I Love You, Man:





No comments: