Friday, February 27, 2009

Ranking the Best Picture winners since 2000


The Oscars have come and gone.  The R and R Review didn't write one blog about it.  Why not, some of our loyal readers have asked?  Because, we are lazy.  Too busy eating out.  The awards show was good and I give it overall high marks, but I don't want this blog to focus on the 81st Academy Awards.  All fall, I thought the slate of movies that were considered the "best" of the year seemed very weak.  I will admit, I didn't get to see all of them, as the R and R Review is very cheap and hasn't increased my business expense account.  But, of the ones I got to watch:  The Reader, Benjamin Button, Slumdog and Milk (ah, I only missed one), I thought this year was a little down.  Slumdog Millionaire was my favorite, but it was everyone else's, too.  How could it not be?  However, I really didn't think it would stand up well against previous winners.  So, what did I do?  I decided to compare it against the other winners for Best Picture this decade and rank them.  Here they are:


9.  A Beautiful Mind (2001):  Just didn't really like this movie that much.  Traffic should have won, I don't know what the Academy was smokin'.  Maybe too many of them were smokin' something when they watched Traffic and forgot to vote?  God, I love Michael Douglas.


8.  Chicago (2002):  I'm not a big musical fan, so maybe that is why I rated this movie so low.  However, it was the first musical that kept my attention for more than 10 minutes.  Also, I'm not a Renee Zellweger fan.  There, I said it.


7.  Lord of the Rings, the Return of the King (2003):  I liked the first two movies in the trilogy better.  This one ended up winning for all three.  I kept thinking the movie was ending and would stand up to leave.  This happened for 45 minutes.


6.  Crash (2005): This movie was better than Brokeback Mountain, no matter what people say.  I am not homophobic because I think that.  Who wouldn't want to be stuck on a mountain with Jake Gyllenhaal?  Crash was just better, so get over it.


5.  Gladiator (2000):  A great epic movie that was actually recognized.  In recent years, the Oscars don't reward these types of movies.  It wasn't the best movie of the decade, but very entertaining.


4. Slumdog Millionaire (2008):  Stacks up much better than I thought.  Too bad the kids had to leave Disneyland to return to the slums.  But, they made good money, according to the producers.


3.  Million Dollar Baby (2004):  I didn't want to see a movie just about a woman trying to become a boxer.  It turned out to be a lot more than that...even though it was a movie about a woman trying to become a boxer.


2. The Departed (2006):  Who doesn't like a good mob/cop movie?  They are some of Hollywood's absolute best movies.  Plus, this one had Jack, Leo, Alec, Matt, Martin and Mark.


1.  No Country for Old Men (2007):  I was surprised this was my favorite, as I liked There Would Be Blood better last year.  However, the Coen brothers really foll0wed Cormac McCarthy's book.  This had all the elements of a great movie.

No comments: