Monday, February 16, 2009

Fox Bros. BBQ


So, I really enjoy some good southern BBQ, but as strange as it may seem, Atlanta doesn't seem to have much in that department. Yes, it's a major city and it's located in the South. One would think a plethora of amazing BBQ joints would dot the scene. In fact, it was a consideration for me when deciding whether to move to Atlanta. Now, I must get all lawyer on you and establish that rating BBQ is about as subjective as rating the looks and intelligence of your child over your friend's. It's very subjective. There's even different styles from all over the country. So in reading this review, keep that in mind and don't shoot the messenger.


However, my wife, understanding my obsession for locating good bbq like a pig digging for truffles, stumbled upon this place called Fox Bros. BBQ. Now, I know many Atlantans have known about this place for eons...I'm not from Atlanta, so back off! I just discovered it like Christopher Columbus found the New World, so we will pretend it's truly a new discovery.


I must admit, I was very impressed with the food at Fox. I ate the pulled pork meal, with Brunswick stew, mac 'n cheese and everyone's favorite...Tater Tots. Yes, Virginia, they do have TOTS! I must rave about the pork, though, because it's the first time in Atlanta that I've eaten pulled pork from a restaurant and actually tasted that wonderful smoky flavor. It was very tender, well seasoned and served over a single slice of white bread. It puts everywhere else I've eaten bbq thus far in Atlanta to shame.


So here is the lowdown:


Pros: Great smoked pulled pork, awesome Brunswick stew, tasty Mac 'n cheese and they have Tots on the menu. Also, a very decent bear selection for a bbq joint.


Cons: Service was nice enough, but really slow on Sunday afternoon, the sweet tea was a bit watered down, the pork may have been a notch too dry (but I'll let it slide because it was so tasty), and unfortunately it was lacking in a variety of bbq sauces at the table.



All in all, if you live in Atlanta, or are visiting, consider this Spork Rating when choosing your BBQ joint of choice:







You can't go wrong with Fox Bros. BBQ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always important to have a good bear selection for BBQ: Polar, Black, California Golden. My favorite is the Bad News.

Anonymous said...

Daddy D'z (www.daddydz.com) is the joint!