Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mid-Season Review of 24: Season 7



By BA Roof with an afterward by Christopher J. Robinson about episode 10.






***SPOILER ALERT***


BA Roof:
Editors Note: I watched 24 Redemption right before Episode 1 of Season 7, so I got confused with some inauguration content from an earlier post. My comments have been revised. I'm stupid.

I’m skipping my review of the Oscars to discuss a much more important topic: this season’s 24. I got into 24 by watching Season 5. I had enough friends pleading with me to watch the show. Ok, so I have no friends and was just bored and decided why not give it a try? I liked it so much, I went and bought the previous four seasons, but have only watched Season 1, so far. Hey, I’m a very busy and totally important guy. Tragically, the writers were abducted and replaced with glue sniffing drones for Season 6 and the franchise nearly died. For this year’s Season 7, there was supposed to be an overhaul.

So, is this season any better for 24? Yes and no. They finally scrapped CTU, which I couldn’t believe was still around for Season 6. I mean, how many terrorist attacks really happen in Los Angeles? They also shook up the cast a bit, which was long overdue, since I got tired of seeing the same people winning the Presidency like it was a deal made in some backroom bar. Maybe it is a deal made in some backroom bar in real life, but at least it’s not obvious.

I am, however, still very disappointed with the show. For some reason the writers keep coming up with plot twists that seem virtually impossible. Let me list the problems: (1) I know this is minor, but all the trees have leaves and the grass is green and some characters wear light jackets while others wear heavy ones. It’s the same day. Is it June or is it February? I have no clue, but it doesn't add up. (2) No one trusts or believes Jack. Give me a break. This guy has saved us how many times and we still don’t trust him? (3) How does a small African nation have the ability to corrupt so many high up people in the government and get this magical device that can cripple the country? Why haven't the Russians done this already? (4) Why on earth would there be a single device that can cripple the entire country so easily? (5) How can a low level FBI agent have so much access to the computers and why does his superior always trust what he says, knowing there is a mole in his department?

I know 24 can sometimes stretch the truth for entertainment, but at least make it seem plausible. That's what was so great about earlier episodes. This week’s episode didn’t have too much overt crazy writing. Most of it was plausible. Ok, maybe not the simple way one could erase the FBI computer files, or everything Chris discusses below. But, there have been plenty of moles in the FBI over the years. However, stay tuned. The trailer for next week’s show demonstrates how an African leader can have his loyalist storm the White House and hold the President hostage. Yeah, right. The most heavily guarded building in the world. I’m guessing next week’s episode will finally do me in and I will never be able to watch 24 again. See if I’m right. Spork Rating for Season 7 so far:







Christopher J. Robinson:

5:00 PM - 6:00 PM

Wow. Where to begin? I have never been more frustrated with poor writing than I was last night. Even though I love Rhys Coiro as Billy Walsh on Entourage, his character in 24, FBI Agent/cube monkey Sean Hillinger, has really bothered me. Apparently, computer nerds at the FBI are trained in all aspects of intelligence field work and issued Glocks. If you get angry at your computer, just pull out your Glock and cap your PC.

So last night, Sean and Erika are walking around the office and openly discussing Dubaku and how they have committed high treason within an ear shot of maybe 6-10 coworkers. Completely absurd. I think there was a moment when Sean even bumped into someone while talking about Jack and Renee, who is supposedly dead. Now, let’s not even get into the technical aspects of wiping out the FBI’s entire network in 30 seconds; it hurts too much to think about. This brings us to Sean shooting Erika in the stomach, her bleeding out immediately, then turning the gun on himself and shooting his arm point blank. Again, why is an IT guy at the FBI (not a field agent) issued a gun? If he was not issued the gun, how did he get it into the building? Surely they must have some sort of security protocol put in place, medal dectors at the door, something. After he shoots himself, he slides the gun over to Erika’s lifeless body but fails to get her prints on the gun. Doesn’t Sean think that a shooting inside the FBI will be investigated? Doesn’t he watch CSI?

After the doctors bandage up his arm, Sean casually and effortlessly puts on his jacket, runs down the hallway, is grabbed BY THAT ARM without flinching, then when he is placed in the interrogation room, is shown leaning on the table with both arms. Not once does he flinch or show any pain. How hard is it to add the line “God dammit! That hurts! Come on, man. I was just shot right where your grabbed me! Aghhhhh. F*** that hurts!” And I love how he had an extra button down shirt at the office, in case he ever gets shot at the office and needs to clean up and look presentable again.

Finally, we have the uncomfortable crowbar scene with Jack and Tony on the steps. It’s as if the writers sat down, went to work, and when they finished they had 10 hours of story line. “Oh, crap. How can we awkwardly continue the plot?” As BA Roof and I have discussed countless times, it is not that hard to keep the plot in tact while at the same time making certain aspects of the show more believable. I just do not understand the laziness and how they get away with it.

I do, however, love the obvious sexual tension between Jack Bauer and Agent Renee Walkers breasts. That was the silver lining to last night’s episode.

I'm with BA Roof on his spork rating for the Season thus far, but last night's episode gets...





No comments: