Monday, May 4, 2009

Review: Verde Taqueria




This weekend the wife and I decided to try out a new taqueria in town called Verde. The biggest allure was that it's located in the neighborhood of Atlanta we live in, which for some unknown reason has very few restaurants, especially compared to the rest of the city. Because of the constant threat of swine flu and the fact Verde opened just last week, we were hoping most of the locals would have no clue about Verde or stay in the safety of their homes, despite the dire restaurant shortage. As we swung by on Friday around 9pm, though, the place was busting at the seams like Kirstie Alley after an all night cupcake binger. I summoned the wife to see about the wait, but as I slowly patrolled by and looked at the dejected people sipping their corona lights, I knew this was only going to be a fly by. Sure enough, at an hour and a half wait for tacos, we were out of there like the Republican Party in Washington. I told you the people in my neighborhood are desperate for food. Don’t be surprised if you hear the words “Thunderdome” and “Brookhaven” in the same sentence down the road.

We decided to give Verde another chance at a glowing review and even a little bit of an edge as we waited until almost 2:30pm to eat lunch on Saturday. Being later in the afternoon and with dark clouds rolling in from the west, I figured we had a better chance at a table…just praying it wasn’t a patio table. Sure enough the crowds were less, but there was still a short wait. After a few minutes looking around and being tempted to tell them I was with the Atlanta Journal Constitution, I noticed to my displeasure that the wait was a bit artificial. Several tables were open, but the many disoriented servers running around the place like chickens with their heads cut off didn’t notice. There had to be a server for every two or three tables, which created too much commotion and potential for disaster coming out of the kitchen. It didn’t take long for the uneasy feeling of warm salsa and half eaten tacos to slap against the back of my legs.

After scowling for about ten minutes, a server (or maybe the host, although he seemed to be waiting tables as well) started to seat the annoyed patrons squeezed into the very small waiting area, because of the flooding rains outside. Verde had a good look, although a bit cold for a taco place. Half of the restaurant was windows creating a lot of light, while the other half was painted dark brown colors. The lack of wall space allowed the restaurant owners the opportunity to really go to town in decorating the remaining walls, but most of them were left unfilled leaving the place a bit bland.

Once seated, we were able to check out the menu, which was slightly different than that online. A MAJOR pet peeve of mine is when online menus do not disclose the price. Verde has taken a page from this book, and why a taco place feels they are too exclusive and snobby to add prices, I’m not sure. Tacos range in the $3-$4 dollar range, which I found to be on the pricey side, especially in this draconian economy. I guess I’m getting used to Taqueria Del Sol’s $2.19 price point. Once our disgruntled waiter noticed us and took our order, I was able to taste the rib, fried chicken club, buffalo chicken and pulled pork tacos (no I did not order all four for myself). I must say the rib and the pulled pork were by far the tastiest, but the buffalo and chicken club weren’t half bad. We also ate the chips and salsa which were good, but nothing special. I wanted to try the guacamole, but at nearly 7 bucks (and plans to have homemade guac later in the day), we decided to pass.

To sum up Verde, the service was horrible, but the food was very good. I’m not sure if it’s just first week jitters for the servers, or if they are all family friends from the Hamptons that have never served food a day in their life, but the service was unfriendly, rushed and chaotic. While the atmosphere had a trendy but a bit cold feel, the warm tasty food definitely saved the experience. In a month or so, once some of the savages find another place to eat, and the servers get a clue, I will definitely be eating at Verde again. It’s just too close to my house with food too tasty to pass up.

Verde gets a Spork Rating of:


1426 Dresden Dr NEAtlanta, GA 30319
(404) 254-5319
Mon-Thurs: 11am-10pm
Fri-Sat: 11am-12am
Sun: 11am-9pm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post!

I just laid down after a long Cinco and read your review of Verde. I think you're right on the money in regards to last week. As the partner who was put in charge of the staff, I can honestly say that I had no idea what the demand was going to be from the neighborhood; as a result, we were forced to play a lot of catch-up. That's my fault. The menu will continue to mature and grow. I think it has started out pretty strong though. This week I'm partial to the short rib. We had a much larger menu prepared for friends and family, and some of those items will be returning soon after a couple tweaks. The service is going to be solid and in the last day or two I've seen great improvements. You're correct to say that Saturday's lunch was a bit of a disaster. The weather threw us into a tailspin and we were fighting an uphill battle from there.

- A Brookhaven artist, who is part owner of Purple Hippo Art Studio, is preparing us some decor for those walls you mentioned. We've been searching for ideas and have finally agreed on something.
- I'll get the prices posted on the menu today.
- Having endured 7 years of serving in my life, I know that had I been afforded the privileges of the stereotypical Hamtonite, the last thing I would ever do is wait tables. It's too tough a job. I apologize for any complaints you had about the service on Saturday (paying customers deserve better). In defense of the staff though: I'd rather describe them as hard workers learning a new job than elitists.

I'd appreciate if you could stop by again in a couple weeks and send me more ways to improve.

Thanks for your help,
Pat

pat@verdetacos.com