Friday, October 30, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are



I must admit, I don’t really remember much about the book “Where the Wild Things Are”, as the last time I read it (or probably when I had it read to me as I was illiterate until the age of 20), I think I was four years old. However, I do remember the illustrations of the “wild things” and after seeing Spike Jonze’s movie, I was amazed at his imagination and artistic detail in bringing them to life.

The movie seems to be made for adults who enjoyed the book as children, but now better comprehend (at least some of us) the complexities of what Max and his mother are going through, which causes him to escape to a distant land. Where the Wild Things Are is a very artistic movie, so if you are hoping to be thoroughly entertained by scenes plush with action and dialogue, you will be disappointed. Instead, Jonze captures the purity of child’s imagination. The imagery, especially of the Carol’s (James Gandolfini) model and Max’s fort, is spectacular and I almost felt transported to my own childhood mind. The acting is superb by both the humans, Max Records (“Max”) and Catherine Keener (“Mom”), and the the monsters, voiced by actors such as Gandolfini, Catherine O’Hara (“Judith”), Forest Whitaker (“Ira”) and Chris Cooper (“Douglas”).

The only downfall of the movie might have been its ambition. Making a film from a book that consists of only ten sentences and staying true to the story can be quite difficult, if not impossible. The book is meant to capture only five or ten minutes of a child’s imagination, while the movie must keep them entertained for an hour and a half. Because of this, I don’t recommend this movie for children much younger than eight years old. I’m not sure if they would get it. The catch-22 is that older children might not remain entertained during the long stretches that lack action or even much dialogue. The movie’s beauty comes in its imagery and deep message that only adults may truly be able to cherish. Has Where the Wild Things Are missed its targeted audience? Not sure, but they found it with me.

I give Where the Wild Things Are a Spork rating of:



No comments: