Monday, June 15, 2009

Quick Review: The Hangover


Since the Hangover has been out for a couple weekends already, I figured I wouldn’t do a full blown review, but let everyone know what I thought. I finally saw this comedy on Friday night and am really glad I went. This story from the director of Old School was fresh and original, while the overall concept (buddies having a bachelor party in Vegas) was nothing new. I was a little worried this flick would be too familiar, but it didn’t disappoint. What made the story unique was that you never had any clue what actually happened during Doug Billings’ (Justin Bartha) bachelor party in Vegas. While you see the foursome, Doug, Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms) and Alan (Zach Galifianakis) embark on their night of fun in Vegas after taking a spiced up shot and a minor slice to Alan’s hand with a pocket knife (although in the end no one wanted to be blood brothers with him), the next thing we see is Phil, Stu, Alan and a Mike Tyson's tiger waking up in their Caesar’s Palace villa without the groom-to-be Doug. This begins the wild re-tracing of the previous night’s events in order to find out what happened to Doug before his wedding on the next day. While the story had a few dull moments in the middle, for the most part it was hilarious, especially the interplay between Phil, Stu and the mildly insane and slow Alan. In fact, I feel it was the Alan character that probably brought the most humor to the movie and tied everything together.



It was also nice at the end of the movie getting a brief taste of what actually happened that night, but while still leaving plenty to the imagination. I think most people can relate to a movie like this, because many of us have had bachelor parties, been to a friend’s bachelor party or just had way too much to drink the night before. I give this movie a Spork Rating of:






Christopher J. Robinson's Quickie Review:




Zach Galifianakis stole the movie (or was that the point?). I felt like Bradley Cooper's character was slightly contrived and felt forced. Ed Helms was great and carried the plot, while Zach G. carried the humor. Some of the role players were obnoxious (i.e. the Asian guy). I knew right away where Doug was. The tiger in the car scene was eerily similar to the deer in the car scene from Tommy Boy. I enjoyed the Mike Tyson element. I felt like the movie was dragging about 2/3rds of the way though, but ended strong. My favorite scene was the rooftop scene in the beginning. Overall, it was very funny and there were a few times when I thought BA Roof was going into one of his fits. Question: don't roofies put you out like a light rather quickly so that you can be taken advantage of? I wasn't aware that roofies give you the wildest night ever with the only negative side effect being memory loss. Oh well, doesn't really matter I guess. The Hangover gets...






Rated R

Open Everywhere

No comments: